Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Take your Daughter to Work Day! (or BuzzFeed beat me to it...)


With the pace of life last week, Phil and I chose to wait and not tell Eloise about our plans for Thursday until that morning.  We wanted to make sure she was ready for her absolute favorite day of the year - Take your Daughter to Work Day!  She was excited, picked out her outfit and loaded her backpack with snacks, water and a pack of crayons - all prepared for a long day of patent examining with Dad.  She was not impressed about catching a ride with Mom, though.  She insisted that next year she'll bike in with Dad like a big girl.

Little did we know, but the kid we needed to worry about was Isabel, who apparently never got over missing out last year. After a bit of toddler style negotiation, Isabel grabbed her backpack, I parked the car and we decided that Isabel and I would hit the health fair that the USPTO hosts in the atrium in order to keep life in the Cotey household equitable.



After settling in at the office, Phil and Eloise met up with us before we headed to Whole Foods for our weekly grocery shop.


Phil and Eloise headed back up to their office where Eloise enjoyed test driving the different chairs and coloring.  Little did I know that while I was picking up more bananas Eloise was working on something totally new.


While this year didn't include a personal massage or cake, Eloise could not stop talking about how awesome it was to meet some of Phil's coworkers. She really loves seeing Phil's office mate Marrit and she made sure to remind me that we used to see her a lot more when we lived in the Carlyle neighborhood.


While last year was all about the massage and cake, this year was all about meeting women in the workplace and Eloise was not going to leave until she got to see Lisa, Phil's boss!  Last year they missed each other and every time she talks about her first Take your Daughter to work day Eloise always adds the caveat "but I didn't meet Lisa...".  After introducing Eloise to the deliciousness that is St. Katherine's Festival and being an all around fantastic boss, she's a hero around here!  (I just wish I got to hang out with her :) that awesome.  Maybe I can convince Phil that I should RunDisney and convince her to show me the ropes!)

 

This was the USPTO's 22nd year participating in Take your Daughter to Work Day and I love how inclusive their programming is for even the littlest kids and toddlers.  Eloise is pretty sure that Dad has an awesome job and is already lobbying for a full day in 2016.  Alas, after Mom and Isabel finished the grocery shop, we swung back by to pick up Eloise.  Little did we know that the below picture would make Buzzfeed's Top 31 List for Take your Child to Work Day. So fun!


I had my own surprise after Eloise was home, changed, and unpacked her backpack.  Spurred on by all of the hard work going on at Dad's office, she decided that it would be the day that she would write her name for the first time.  I'm considering sending her to work more often.


No comments:

Post a Comment